Thursday, October 14, 2010

Guerilla Lace

Inspired by guerrilla knitters is this the first guerrilla lace?

This torchon tie was spotted on the Three businessmen who brought their own lunch; Batman Swanston and Hoddle on the corner of Bourke and Swanston streets in Melbourne.  The sculpture itself was unveiled in 1994 as a gift from the people and government of Nauru and it was made by Melbourne sculptors Alison Weaver and Paul Quinn.  This playful sculpture is much loved and its position and size leaves it begging for further adornments and offerings.  In fact at the time of snapping these pics another of the men was sporting a briefcase laden with oregano.


So will this tie start a trend  amongst business folk to soften their look with lace?  Will there be more guerrilla lace popping up in the streets?  I know I will have my eyes peeled.

1 comment:

  1. I will also be alert next time I am in Melbourne and hope that I find lace in interesting places. I am sure it would make for a better world!

    ReplyDelete