Friday, October 9, 2015

Veteran Community Story Writing and Art Competition

The Story Writing and Art Competition (SWAC) is an annual art/painting, craft, photography, story writing and poetry event run specifically for members of Victoria’s ex-service community.  The competition is open to current and ex- service men and women as well as his/her partner, children and grandchildren.

The competition began in 1962 at the Repatriation General Hospital in Heidelberg, Melbourne, as therapy for returned soldiers. Today, it continues to enhance participants’ health and wellbeing by providing the opportunity to develop new skills, interests and social support.  This year there was a record number of entries from those currently serving, demonstrating the power creating art has at such times.

My grandfather served as a Commando in World War 2 and encouraged me to enter an artwork I completed many years ago that reflects upon war.  I noticed there was also a textile and fibre category so decided to take the opportunity to enter some wire lace.  I thought this would be an opportunity to exhibit and allow a wider audience to see this style of lace.

My grandfather accompanied me to the opening and to my surprise and our delight my lace piece entitled Gum Leaves had won third prize.  I am looking forward to attending the award ceremony in November.

 This award, along with my recent recognition at the Triennial Lace Awards has encouraged me to continue to explore the world of wire lace and continue to develop my own style and designs using this medium. 

No comments:

Post a Comment